Monday, September 2, 2013

Self Branding - Is it a new business card?

I have been following of all things a Facebook group thread in the South Florida Social Media Groups. A member started a post thread about setting up a personal page (fan page, business page) to differentiate between personal and business posts, and  he was getting close to limit of members on a personal page.

This, I believe, is left for individuals who have attained a media following rather than personal promotion.

I have several Facebook pages for my alternate personas and business and music ventures. Some of these are prototypes to show clients, or to deal with my existing clients.

For this reason I chose a different outlet. A tantalizing offer from GoDaddy for a .me domain name caught my attention. After reviewing it, I purchased artgraham.me for $10, with no extra trimmings.

After that transaction settled, I went into my GoDaddy account, where you accumulate services for purchasing domains. I selected a one page free hosting for the web page, and a free photo album.

Within a couple of casual hours I was able to establish the basics of a personal branding. Right now only the Facebook logo and a link work, but they are as powerful as a business card.

I will be adding functionality and adding SEO and analytics and authorship to make this part of my persona.

Also, the last Blogger post I made moved me up in the SERP rankings for my name, and I am going to be checking that in Google search over the next couple days.

Happy Labor Day 2013 to those in the USA, to whom Unions provide identity for individual workers.


No comments:

Post a Comment