Saturday, June 18, 2011

I've Fallen and I can't get up! Part 1

We all know the commercial, but do not think that will happen to "me". Unfortunately it did happen to me this week. But I could get up, and be walking the next day.

As a preamble, I have an artificial left hip and have dislocated it 4, now 5 times with minimal cause.

Thursday, June 15 was my daughter's birthday. I was finishing up the day by taking some photos of product in my home studio. After taking a shot, I stepped backwards, and my hip dislocated and I fell into a stack of TV's and landed on the floor.

Disbelief. I did nothing abnormal, but was now sprawled on the floor in agony. Usually, I have my cell phone in my pocket in case something like this might happen. Not today. It was on the kitchen table.

After recovering my composure, I crawled backwards (forwards does not work) from the photo room. I stopped in the kitchen, where I have my Ortho Surgeon's card on the fridge, and crawled back to dining room to get my phone.

First I called the Ortho office, and worked my way through the phone system to get to an assistant who said to call 911 and go to the nearest hospital. But I did not want another ambulance ride, so I told her to call the Dr. and put him in the loop.

Then I called my son, N/A, then my former spouse at work, who had been through this before. She came over, helped me get dressed and drove me to the ER. I hobbled in to the ER on crutches and told the receptionist what my problem was. She looked at me and said .. " and you're walking?"

Come back for part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment